- Before this procedure was used to remove acne scars, pox marks and scars resulting from accidents or disease. Nowadays, it's used to treat other skin conditions, like tattoo scars, scars related to surgery, age (liver) spots, wrinkles, and benign skin lesions.
- This is also known as skin planning that improves skin figure as a new layer of skin that replaces the treated skin and gives the much smooth appearance.
Before Dermabrasion Procedure
- The dermatologic surgeon will discuss the type of anesthesia to be used, its procedure and realistic expectation results that might happen including possible risks and complications.
- To evaluate the areas for improvement, photographs should be taken before and after the surgery.
- Pre-operative and post-operative instructions will be given to the patients.
- This surgery can be done either in the dermatologic surgeon’s office or in an outpatient surgical facility.
- Alcohol is prohibited within 48 hours before and after the surgery.
- Do not use any products that contain aspirin or ibuprofen for one week before or after the surgery.
During Dermabrasion Procedure
- Before the surgery, medication to relax the patient might be given.
- The disinfectant material will entirely clean the affected area.
- The doctor will use either numbing spray, topical anesthetic or inject local anesthetic.
- To improve any non-uniformity in the skin surface, the plastic surgeon will use high-speed rotary instrument with an abrasive brush.
Common Complications of Dermabrasion Surgery
- Temporary or permanent uneven changes in skin color
- Temporary or permanent darkening of the skin, usually caused by sun exposure in the days and months following surgery
After Dermabrasion Surgery
- The patient will feel your skin has been rubbed burn within a few days. Dermatologic surgeon can recommend medications to lessen any uneasiness you might encounter.
- Recovery normally happens within 10 to 14 days.
- In many cases, the pinkness in the newly formed skin will fade through six to eight weeks until it develops a normal color.
- A lot of people can go back to their regular activities 7 to 14 days after dermabrasion.
- Avoid smoking as much as possible.
To know more helpful information about this dermabrasion surgery visit - https://www.aacsh.com/dermabrasion.html